View Single Post
Old 07.06.2012, 08:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 51 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
!!! LinkedIn/eHarmony password breach !!!

( thread in Internet access?.. ya, I think so )

We just received this message from our head of IT as a heads up for users of "LinkedIn"..
It seems this also pertains to you sad, sad people that have signed up for "eHarmony" as well.
1) LinkedIn has suffered a significant security breach resulting in around 6.5 million passwords being posted on the Internet (just the passwords, no userID information it seems at this point). You should change your passwords immediately. For more information take a look at this article http://arstechnica.com/security/2012...d-to-linkedin/

2) In light of this, there is a massive increase in LinkedIn related scam messages arriving in our mailboxes, asking to "confirm your email address". Delete these immediately. One clue to this scam is the way the link for the linkedin addresses are formed - they appear to be legit, however the second i in the ".linkedln." part is actually a lowercase l (L) not a capital i as it seems!! These guys are very sneaky, so beware!

From the article above, it appears that eHarmony have also suffered a similar breach with 1.5 million passwords being posted, so if you are a user of this service you should also change your password immediately.

Regards,

( n.b. -- I suppose we should brace for another round of phone calls from certain off-shore people now. )

Last edited by grynch; 07.06.2012 at 08:37.