View Single Post
Old 20.06.2012, 18:24

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
photonion has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Concerning the greek salaries and a few words on the greek problem:

It has already been mentioned that german media (and to be honest pretty much most of the 'mainstream' media in the world, greek media included, no doubt) have an agenda and take care to promote what they want their audience to believe. I'm sure that the 'reportage' omitted to mention how many people commit suicide daily in Greece since 2009 and what their previous and current salaries (if they have any) were. It seems that 'independent' journalists enjoyed their holidays in beautiful Kos and in (equally beautiful) Bodrum and they also 'passed' their message to their audience.
I have no idea about the salaries of small boats captains, but I can tell you (coming from a large nautical family) that a captain of a tanker (I repeat, TANKER, the ones that cross half the planet) usually makes around 10000 per month, net. It might seem a lot, but these guys are responsible for multi million Euros freight, they stay away from their families for at least 6-8 months and they have to command the beasts in both calm and raging seas. With this in mind, i think the claimed salary of 5000 Euros for a small ferry is either fake, or the guy is doing 3 jobs and sums them all.
But what happens with 'normal', 'daily', professions?
A primary school teacher in Greece used to earn (back at the good times) around 1000 Euros per month, net and now, IF you ever get hired you get 660 Euros (net).
An electrical, civil, or mechanical engineer back in the good days used to make 1250 Euros per month (net) and had to pay 250 per month for insurance and pension (1000 net). Now their salary remains the same but they have to pay 500 Euros per month for the aforementioned insurances.
A clerk at a supermarket or a sales assistant in a large shop would make around 700-800 Euros per month, net. Now the base salary is 560 Euros and most of the times, the employer does not pay insurance (taking advantage of the 22.5% OFFICIAL unemployment rate)...
Doctors affiliated to the public insurance schemes are paid for 6, (yes six) Euros per visit and even these money are not compensated by the government (because the famous money that SAVED Greece, go back DIRECTLY as interest rates payment). Doctors in the private sector, as everywhere in the world can make quite a lot of money (depending on reputation, etc...).
Concerning the ultra high salary cases: (for example the train driver).
It is absolutery TRUE that there have been cases of ridiculously OVERPAID (especially for greek standards) professionals. Not every train driver in Greece makes 7500 Euros per month. They might get that much + a bit more per year. The guys that made so much money were parts of 'syndicates' extremely close to the political parties. If you belonged in these syndicates you had a beautiful life.
In a few words: Corruption (especially in justice and public administration), lack of auditing and controlling the crazy spending of the corrupted few (see what happens in defense expenses in Greece - must be one of the highest budgets in the world) and above all a lack of VISION for what Greece should and what Greece could be, are a major part of the greek problem. On top of that add to the mix the usual bunch of unprofessionals (especially in the tourism industry) and you easily get a mix with a very ugly 'public' profile, and serious inside problems... Not good at all.
There are indeed many problems within the greek society and many 'pathologies', but I don't think that the average greek person had the buying power they are 'advertised' to have... Moreover , what is worse, during the recession years, NOTHING was done to heal these structural problems of the greek society (and some things could be done for FREE).
I will get back with more examples and how political corruption survives...

Edit : Important note:

During the last 4 years inflation is on the loose and prices are stuck (in the best cases) or significantly increased compared to 2009 (food, electricity, water, etc...). You can imagine how things are truly are....

Last edited by photonion; 20.06.2012 at 18:36.
The following 2 users would like to thank photonion for this useful post: