View Single Post
Old 26.06.2012, 21:44
Forum Legend

Groaned at 25 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 22,515 Times in 7,177 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: moving to switzerland with a dog

Quote:
View Post
[*]Dog training. If you have had your dog for more than 3 years, you will not have to get the dog trained, but, you must provide documentation that shows you have had your dog longer than this time. If not, you will be mandated to have training for the dog, and the city will want proof. If you have to get your dog trained, just Google local dog trainers where you will live and there are plenty around. There are two in Riehen that are certified. We were lucky and didn't have to get them trained.
[/LIST]
Just to be precise (and slightly pedantic ) it's not 'if you've had your dog more than three years' that is the trigger, but rather, any dog acquired after 1 Sept 2008. Right now that adds up to (slightly more than) three years, but soon it won't.

The 1 Sept 2008 date is what is important. If your dog was registered in your name before that date, you are excused from the practical SKN. If your dog was acquired after that date, you need to do the SKN.
---

To illustrate:

I have had dogs for 20+ years. As I have had dogs registered in my name here in Switzerland since 1998, I am excused from the SKN theory. (Although I've taken it anyway, out of interest. )

However, none of the dogs are registered in my husband's name. Therefore should we decide that the next dog goes in his name, he would be treated as a new owner, and be required to take the theory course - despite the fact that he has been an integral part of caring for the dogs over the last 20+ years.

As for the practical: the Belltie joined me in 2009 - therefore he and I had to do the SKN. As I will with every dog I adopt from now on.

Hooligan came in 2005, Haifisch in 2007 - and both are therefore excused from the practical portion with me.

And again, should something happen to me and my husband 'inherit' the dogs, he will have to do the SKN practical with each of them.

(FYI, I use a dog sitter regularly - given the type of sitting she does for us, she has done the SKN with each of my dogs.)
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: