View Single Post
Old 21.07.2012, 04:58

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pride Of Manchester has earned some respectPride Of Manchester has earned some respect
Re: Driving in CH in a Right Hand Drive (RHD) Car

I drive a right hand drive here. Only problem really, like people say, is car parks (although I can climb over the middle console when the roof is down).

Roundabouts can be a pain (I had a left hooker in the UK - just to be awkward - and had the same problem).

Overtaking trucks, tractors and buses can be very much guesswork, although I have a very fast car so tend to be past the obstacle before I've even changed down a gear. In a Jeep, I can see it being more of a problem, although you're higher up so maybe able to see over some cars. In saying that, when the road curves around to the right (or is it left? ), you can see around the car in front earlier than in a LHD.

Motorways are not a problem if you have your mirrors positioned right and are comfortable with your blind spot. Although that rule also applies to LHD cars anyway.

My lights are a pain at night, as I can not buy European adaptors for my car. As they face into the middle of the road, I tend to get a blind spot when taking sharp corners.

One big advantage though is at those stupid junctions where you have to give way to people coming from the right (despite them being in the blind spot for left hand drive vehicles). You can see what's coming. Same applies to mountain roads (at least where overtaking is not needed) and narrow lanes through roadworks, as you have a better understanding of how far to the right you can go.

Also, comically, I find having a passenger with their feet on the dashboard or painting their nails tends to freak out oncoming drivers.
The following 2 users would like to thank Pride Of Manchester for this useful post: