View Single Post
Old 24.01.2008, 00:32
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Twilight Break-ins - how to avoid

Quote:
View Post
From memory, knives you can open and close with one hand and knoves whose blade lock into the open position tend to be considered weapons. Swiss pocket knives not. There is some degree of leeway in practical situations, though. The law on what constitues a weapon will also be changing this year, I'm told by the police. It'll be more sensible: i.e. not defining a weapon exclusively by its physical appearance but by the context in which it is used. So under the new law, the police will be able to confiscate a bread-knofe if someone is running along the Bahnhofstrasse naked screaming "I'll kill you all!" because he is using it like a weapon, even though by today's law a bread knife isn't a weapon.

Cheers, Danis

P.S. the above is from memory and without checking references, so don't quote me. If you're interested, I can look up the exact wording, etc. But the above is the general gist of it.
I'd be interested in knowing more about this, if you don't mind. I have a little Buck Metro in my purse I've carried for years. The blade is less than 3cm long so I never imagined it would be considered a weapon. But it's a liner-lock and it does open neatly with one hand.

Maybe I'd best leave it home tomorrow while awaiting a reply.