View Single Post
Old 01.08.2012, 21:06
Forum Legend

Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,908 Times in 4,166 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Olympic open ceremony thread

Quote:
View Post
Like who? Phelps has won different events (the 4 strokes are different disciplines) over multiple Olympics.

Its true as a great, complete (good at multiple strokes) swimmer he may get more shots at medals than a great athlete but he's done it over time and swimming is not an old persons game so its understandable that this will be his last Olympics.

He's the best for me. So far.
Exactly. He "may" not. He definitely does. It isn't just about the stroke, but also the multiple distances. The fact that you can get so much "duplication" in the sport suggests to me that it needs to be cut back a little.

50m freestyle
100m freestyle/backstroke/breaststroke/butterfly
200m freestyle/backstroke/breaststroke/butterfly/meddley
400m freestyle/meddley
1500m freestyle

That's before you get to the 3 relay races and I left out the 10k swim.

Did I miss any? I'm just surprised they don't have doggy paddle in there too.

Compare that to track and field events. You might get someone in the 100 and 200 + relays. At a push in the 400 as well, but not in hurdles and you don't mix long vs. short distances.

Don't get me wrong. He is a fine athlete, a great Olympian and clearly ahead of his peers (in previous Olympics anyway), and what he has achieved is not to be sniffed at. I just think that it is too easy for swimmers compared to other disciplines, and people will look at that tally and, like you, say he's the GOAT.

That just doesn't sit well with me.