View Single Post
Old 02.08.2012, 14:20
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
BrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Olympic open ceremony thread

Quote:
View Post
Just read an interesting article from yesterday's edition of The New York Times entitled "Many Medals but No Consensus for Phelps" and which lends credence to the argument that he may not be the best Olympian athlete ever but should certainly rank up there as one of them.
The concept that a swimmer is going to win medals over 5 or 6 olympics is ridiculous. Didn't the American skeet shooter just win a medal for the 5th Olympics, lets throw her in the argument. Swimming in your late 30s? Even if physically possible training that hard for 20 years no thanks. I think there is some truth that Phelps maybe hasn't trained as hard for these games.

The fact that not everyone can swim butterfly but most of us can run 100m makes it all the more impressive. Ive swam 200m butterfly, it aint easy (could not now). Running 100m in sub 10 seconds is awesomely impressive and the race I look forward to more than anything else. No disputing the Bolt is the fastest runner in the world.

I think its difficult to compare people across totally different sports and different generations. Its always easy to say he's not the best he's one of the best. But who is best then?