View Single Post
Old 02.08.2012, 17:43
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
codeshockwave has annoyed a few people around herecodeshockwave has annoyed a few people around herecodeshockwave has annoyed a few people around here
Re: The Olympic open ceremony thread

The opening ceremony of the Olympics had mixed reviews in the UK press, some said it was to gloomy and suggested it copied scenes from the lord of the rings with the shire and the industrial chimneys towers of Mordor.

Personally I thought it was OK, but too disjointed and did not necessarily portray a fair depiction of the UK through the ages in respect of its real aim of being a shop window advertisement for potential international tourists to the country ( of whom there were millions watching).

Firstly I don't believe that many international viewers would have any idea of what the NHS is, let alone why they are paying homage to them, not to say that is was not good and not to say that the NHS does not deserve it, however in my opinion being a British expat I can only really see this as a pat on the back from the British government and an attempt by the government in collusion with the UK Olympic committee to claw back national support in light of national concerns of governmental support.

This is something of an internal UK issue and really should not have been used to represent the UK's long and proud history as a marketing tool to drum up tourist business to our fair isles during the Olympics. (unless they envisage many tourists having to use the NHS while in the UK, which if anything is a concern)

What they should of had focused on is the UK throughout the ages should have been a progress story, perhaps a fairytale mixed with real events and places. knights in Armour, castles, london throughout the ages, sherlock holmes, the swinging 60's, the beatles, shakespere, JR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Dickens, the royal family, the Italian job. Brighton pier, rolling country side, the list goes on.

In conclusion the opening ceremony should really have been more upbeat postcard example of what Britain has to offer and the best of British from a tourists point of view, capitalizing on why tourists come to the UK and playing to those strengths. They started well with bond and royal family, but it got side tracked with the internet and Mordor....

It was good, but not as good as Bejing Olympics 08.
The following 3 users would like to thank codeshockwave for this useful post: