View Single Post
Old 08.02.2008, 11:30
Banned

Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,134 Times in 585 Posts
peachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Job [unexplained delays in feedback]

Quote:
View Post
Wait 1 week after your interview. Then call the hiring manager (the guy that interviewed you. You got his business card during the interview, right? It is important that this call is directly to him, not some random HR person) and express your continued interest in the job. But do this in an interesting way. Say something like: "I had been thinking about what you said [during the interview] and thought of these other ways in which I could help your company". Here pick a good problem that they mentioned they needed the employee to solve for the company. Tell them things that will show them how you will add value to their company, and basically take this opportunity to impress them in the phone call.

If you do this right, you should hear from them within a few days. In my experience, if you don't hear within 2 weeks after an interview, they are not interested. So you should never wait more than 1 week or so for that phone call to the hiring manager.

Alternatively, if you are to shy to do the above, you might call and say something like: "I am considering other offers so I would like to know where I stand, because I was very impressed with [insert company name here] during the interview and would love to work here if given the opportunity! However, I need to make a decision within the next [insert time frame here], and beyond that date I will be unable to consider you." That should get you a prompt reply. Beware though, method #2 might get you the answer you already sort of know: If they don't get back to you quickly after an interview, they probably perfer another candidate over you.

Best of luck!
I wouldn't do this at all TBH.

If you had an interview with a bank (i'm guessing here) and they do want to hire you even if they decided to take you on right after the interview they probably have a whole heap of processes to go through before they can make an offer. Whilst they might say the interview went well the hiring manager will know to get everything signed off before stating they will make you an offer.

If the meeting was setup via a recruiter then stick to that channel of communication, it could be seen as pushy to contact the manager direct. For gods sake don't call them and start trying to add to the already concluded interview, they won't appreciate the interruption, and might think you are a bit mad.
The following 4 users would like to thank peachy for this useful post: