View Single Post
Old 30.10.2012, 08:20
swisspea's Avatar
swisspea swisspea is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich t
Posts: 6,324
Groaned at 42 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,418 Times in 2,950 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-EU spouse of EU permit holder

Not quite....he has to get a job with a reasonable salary to support his spouse/family. If he is the primary permit holder, the process is much simpler than if you try to get a job first. Once he has a signed work contract and somewhere to live, the process of registration is very simple (he goes to the local town hall) and the permit is issued. Your residency permit as spouse of the EU gives you simplified work permission, and you can certainly look for a job and get a work permission easily as the spouse of a Non-EU.

The 'safeguard' is that one salary (His) should be, in the first instance, enough to support both of you. That's just a hurdle to jump. It's not a big hurdle if he's finished tertiary studies or already has a decent work history. It's an internal thing about the EU person falling onto the social security system in Switzerland within the first 12 months, and being unable to support their Non-EU spouse.

Personally, I'd just job search from your end, see what's out there, and make a trip over only if you have a few job interviews lined up at the least. He's allowed to come to job hunt, but it'll cost lots of money and not necessarily be more effective than doing it over the internet. It may also be easier to get the entry visa (which you need before you arrive to join him), if you are both together, applying from the UK.

And no, you won't have to leave the country to get a work permit etc. But you will need an entry 'visa'.

The best authority to talk to is the Swiss consulate general for the UK, because you will be handling it as a UK and spouse of a UK citizen - and they will be up to date with the rules - in this situation, you can virtually forget that he has dual citizenship for the Non-EU, and the Swiss consulate general in NZ may not necessarily be up to date on the procedures for UK citizens...

Last edited by swisspea; 30.10.2012 at 08:21. Reason: changed 'visa' to 'permit' where appropriate
Reply With Quote