View Single Post
Old 05.11.2012, 21:20
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
aSwissInTheUS aSwissInTheUS is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,758
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,514 Times in 8,659 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Import from EU to Switzerland (less than 6months)

View Post
Anyone with more details? Is OK to come in CH and drive your EU car during the next 12 months... and then do all paperwork...?
No it is not o.k. What you would do and Elira is already doing is tax fraud. A crime. Additionally your insurance may be void if your vehicle is involved in any form of crime.

The problem is that you cannot easily import a car into Switzerland once you have residency in Switzerland. Now, you may tell me that you are not "importing" it, but every time someone drives with a car over the boarder he or she is legally importing the car.

Now, if you are a tourist this is a formless and easy procedure, you just do it under the provision that a) it is for your own personal use b) you will leave the country with the car once your stay is over. Nothing has to be declared, no paper forms, no verbal communication, no duty and no fees, just drive over the border. Zollverordnung Art. 30.

If you are a student or worker on an annual permit you cannot just do it w/o any forms. You would need to fill in Form 15.30.
Foreign workers (holders of annual permits or short-term permits and trainees) are permitted to use a foreign vehicle in the customs area duty-free for a period of two years from the date of first entry (for example upon taking up employment) (form 15.30) even if they transfer their domicile under civil law to the customs area. The charge is CHF 25.

Foreign students are permitted with authorisation form 15.30 to use a foreign vehicle duty-free in the customs area for the entire duration of their studies in principle. The charge is CHF 25.
See Form 15.50 for more details.

If you are neither tourist, student, nor on an annual permit you may have had declared the vehicle on Form 18.44 when you initially crossed the border. Furthermore it would have been tax free only if you had it used for more than six months aboard before you entered Switzerland.

If all of the above is not the right thing you have to declare, import, and pay taxes as everybody else. Failing to do so may end up in a fine which is double of the taxes you would have payed. Additionally to the taxes. This would be approx a third of the cars value in total.
"Okay, I just hope we don't wake up on Mars or something surrounded by millions of little squashy guys."
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post: