View Single Post
Old 04.12.2012, 19:56
Forum Legend

Groaned at 93 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,507 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign Property - Tax implications

Quote:
View Post
Yein.

If the tax authorities decide to take him to task over it, the implications would be a punitive fine due to tax evasion and tax audit over the past 10 years... don't ask how I know, I just do... OK?

If you willingly declare it and submit 10 years of returns, you will be let off with just a requirement to pay back-taxes (if any are owed). Funnily - or not - enough if they owe you money, they don't pay that back.

Any good tax lawyer should be able to advise on this.

How long has this property been ah... emm... gathering dust and if only recent, where did the money come from?
My understanding though is that if you report it yourself they are far more lenient than if they find you out. IIRC on my tax form these past years there has been a place to declare things that I may have "forgotten" in previous years. This article says that they won't fine you but will charge you interest on the tax owed:

http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/wirtschaft...weiz-1.4924348
This user would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post: