View Single Post
Old 05.12.2012, 14:07
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flu vaccination before traveling?

The amount of wrong information about a simple thing like a flu shot is really interesting (even among a statistically higher educated than average crowd) and makes you wonder why the anti-vaxxers haven't succeeded in fully banning vaccines. The CDC is supposedly recommending adults get a DTaP booster as whooping cough is raging back. I know as my husband and I spend 8 weeks coughing our asses off thinking it was just a cold, particularly since our daughter wasn't getting sick, only to find out it was whooping cough (though we didn't get a culture to prove it as that takes 2 weeks so the number of confirmed v. suspected cases is likely rather skewed). Whooping cough! I laughed when my neighbor suggested it as I said I had been vaccinated and who gets that anymore...After xmas, I'm going to see what I can do to join the ranks of those who wish to extinguish this anti-vaxxer stupidity once and for all. Even now there's some freak in Washington who is spewing this same sort of nonsense - http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro..._nonsense.html

If I were traveling and hadn't had a shot yet, yes, I'd get one as the flu season started early this year and is projected to be rather widespread and nasty. Once you have the flu without the vaccine, you'll get religion and get the vaccine every year as I have. The flu is nasty, nasty business.
This user would like to thank poptart for this useful post: