View Single Post
Old 05.12.2012, 14:19
Forum Legend

Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flu vaccination before traveling?

Quote:
I know some people who have horrible reactions to the flu vax and don't get it. I get a little soreness in my arm, sometimes a little stuffiness, but it never lasts long. And I know people who've had the shot and still had the flu. But like Poptart, I have the flu vax religion.

In my early 40's I had two bouts of mycoplasma (walking pneumonia) after taking long flights. Sickest I've ever been. Worse than chemotherapy. I've not had it since I've started getting the flu vax, but correlation is not causation.

Still, if you're not in a risk group, it really is an individual choice. But airplanes suck as far as germs, and travelling around christmas with all the clueless people - a flu vax is the least of your worries.

If I'm not mistaken, though, you ought to get it 2 weeks before you travel. Maybe that doesn't hold anymore.
Reactions to a vaccine are normal; your body is responding to the antigen by stimulating the immune system, resulting in fever, soreness etc.
Flu vaccine won't protect against mycoplasma, but might prevent flu and a subsequent secondary mycoplasma infection.
The following 3 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post: