View Single Post
Old 09.12.2012, 16:16
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Relocating to the US, EU Citizen

Quote:
View Post

Ernst&Young are telling me I can indeed keep Swissquote open, but have to report it to the IRS. They mentioned I should consider whether it makes sense or not to transfer actually all my stock investments to a US Broker. We are talking here about +-250K CHF that I have in Swissquote.

What do you people think?
Yes, Postfinance will close your account in fairly short order once you go to the US. Since you have an L, which is dependent on employment and has to be renewed every few years or so, keep your Swissquote account and just report it unless you're planning an extended stay in the US. It'll just keep things more simple as the IRS won't tax you any more or any less depending on where the money actually resides. Of course, if E&Y think you should move it to the US, they have more insight to the horrors of the IRS than I do, but I'd personally leave it where it is unless moving for a long while or permanently to the US.
This user would like to thank poptart for this useful post: