View Single Post
Old 10.12.2012, 14:36
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
dannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Tax return and Swiss Tax Return

Quote:
View Post
What about if you have a property, but it isn't rented out? We've just inherited my other half's parents' house in the UK, but it's standing empty at the moment while we decide whether to sell it or not. So no income, but expenses like council tax and electricity/gas bills. I assume I need to declare it to the Swiss tax authorities, but how is it done? Is there a separate part of the form that I need or does it just go down as part of our assets in the wealth column? And how do I convert the valuation into CHF for tax purposes?
If the estate has been settled it's yours and you declare it just like any other property.

Strictly speaking you might even find you are assessed a theoretical rental income since the house is at your disposal (eg like a holiday home).

The exhange rates to use (year end and average) are published by the federal authorities eg year in January.

Note the value you declare is the tax value, not the market value. For a foreign property you can probably get away with estimating this: go for 60% of the probate value say.