Thread: Importing a dog
View Single Post
Old 10.12.2012, 15:59

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
heksita has earned some respectheksita has earned some respect
Importing a dog

I think I have finally found my future dog . It currently lives in Poland with its breeder and it is 6 months old.

I checked the BVET website and they tell me:
1. The dog needs to be chipped
2. It has to have an international passport (ID)
3. It has to have valid rabies vaccination (the dog has to be vaccinated 21 days before leaving Poland)
4. I need to register the dog with the Swiss customs -- do I need to do it when crossing the border / at the airport in Zurich (I'm not sure yet if I'll be going by car or by plane) or can I do it later? Do I need a bill from the breeder as a proof how much the dog is worth and in case I need to pay VAT (how much may that be?)?

My breeder tells me:
1. The dog has to have an export pedigree (whatever that means, maybe a pedigree translated to English?)
2. The dog has to have valid rabies vaccination and go through the quarantine; maybe it has to get an antibodies test?
3. A vet has to examine the dog max. 3 days before it leaves the country
4. It's possible that I need a certificate that the dog's tail was not docked (it's a corgi and they are born sometimes with tails, and sometimes without)

A friend of mine did import a dog from Poland as well, but he also filled some kind of a form where he attested what type of animal he's going to import. Was that necessary?

I'm completely confused, I don't want to miss anything. Any help? Do all the documents have to be translated?