Thread: Importing a dog
View Single Post
Old 13.12.2012, 12:49

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
heksita has earned some respectheksita has earned some respect
Re: Importing a dog

In case sb is in similar situation, this is what I found out regarding dogs with congenitally short tails:

There is a PDF on the BVet's website with a paragraph:

Quote:
Are the same rules applicable for dogs with congenitally short tails or with a tail / ear amputated after an accident as for docked dogs?

For practical reasons, the bans on docked dogs also apply in principle to all these other dogs. Only after the veterinary office in your canton of residence has made an appropriate entry in the pet ID are such dogs regarded as legal.

If you want to import a dog with a congenitally short tail or with an amputated tail / ear, please contact the Federal Veterinary Office. To prevent docked dogs being brought illegally into Switzerland under the guise of a medical indication, owners of such dogs must furnish watertight evidence for the FVO actually to recognize the congenitally short tail / amputated tail or the amputated ear. To this end, a medical report on the need for the amputation or on the presence of a congenital defect is absolutely essential. A simple statement by a veterinarian is not sufficient for this. The report must clearly show beyond any doubt that the short tail is a congenital defect or that the amputated tail/ear is the result of a medically indicated intervention.
That means that BEFORE I import a dog I have to send them:
1. A passport copy
2. X-Rays with visible tail bones
3. A statement from a vet stamped by official authority, translated to German

Then they will asses if this dog was indeed born with a congenitally short tail and give me (hopefully!) a permit to import.

Oh my...