View Single Post
Old 27.12.2012, 16:41

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
MissScotland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Insurance Coverage for Pregnancy and Birth

Hi there - I am in exactly the same position as your wife. I have only basic care health insurance with a chf 2,500 excess. I have had a nightmare with my insurance company getting them to actually answer my basic questions about 'now that I am pregnant what should I do to ensure that I do'. All they could talk about was my unpaid bill.....and so it went on. After a complete hormonal tantrum which included tears I was eventually put through (after more than 4 calls and 8 transfers) to my hero. He confirmed that basic insurance covers me for:

5 Gynae Visits
2 Ultrasound Scans
Giving birth

and that none of this is billed or included as part of the excess. Because of former complications and my age I have been advised to get a Gynae to validate me as a 'high risk' which apparently covers me for a little more - I think one more scan and 8 visits.

The fact that my husband also pays insurance and is clearly essential in the mix counts for nothing.

I have heard however, horror stories about complications such as needing a c-section, so I have been advised to fully discuss this at the outset with the Gynae.

I hope this helps but if anyone can talk me through basis insurance and what this means for me in more detail I would be eternally grateful. Also any help as to how I go about upgrading? I seem to have so many problems getting this type of information clearly and concisely over the phone. x Thanks