View Single Post
Old 22.01.2013, 02:45

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
daveAust has made some interesting contributions
Re: Foreigners should pay higher taxes

first of all, I dont agree at all with most of these ideas. This Professor has quite a controversial approach too and is known for this. But some points really have to be discussed. One thing is, a yearly net-immigration of 80k per year (thats a middle sized city in switzerland) is quite the number. As already pointed out by someone, the infrastructure (roads, hospitals etc) needs huge improvements to even maintain the actual level. So there needs to be the discussion about who has to pay these taxes. Most of the people here on this board are probably expats, highly educated people staying here for the short/mid-term. A tax for "foreigner" (the prof. actually talks about permanent/non permanent residents) would not really affect the expats, as I suppose the recruiting firm would have to come up for this extra tax to be competitive on the world wide market. for low skilled workers it is a different story, these workers would actiually be worse off compared to permanent residents and a tax would hit them directly. This would maybe offset low skilled workers to immigrate to switzerland, but would hit residing, non permanent residents very hard. If this is a fair and efficient approach, I am not convinced. Problem is, because of the free movement agreement (and the huge benefits) the alternatives (a system like canada/australia) are not really available, so its important that there is a public discussion, even with controversial ideas.
The following 2 users would like to thank daveAust for this useful post: