View Single Post
Old 21.02.2013, 12:57

Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Pavanne is considered knowledgeablePavanne is considered knowledgeablePavanne is considered knowledgeable
Re: Getting a gardening firm for earthworks: advice

Quote:
View Post
Aside from planning permission, you would be well advised to check with the local Tierschutz about the rules regarding the keeping of geese. You may require special fencing and there may be rules about how many you can keep, how much space they need, etc.
Have checked with the national ones (before embarking on this project) and the Geflügelzuchtverein, and hopefully the local Tierschutz won't have very different rules. You don't actually need special fencing by law, but we want foxproof fencing anyway as we're not going to be able to put them to bed by dusk every night. You need 300 square metres of good grazing per pair (we have 1900 square metres and plan to have two pairs and breed a small batch each summer) and water of at least 60cm depth. You are not allowed to keep a single goose (which is good, because that is a tragedy). Basically, it's common sense if you have kept geese before (which I have).

Quote:
View Post
The last thing you want to find out after having spent a great deal of money is that something doesn't meet their approval.
To be honest, it's too late for that... we already bought the house. These are going to be effectively the most expensive geese ever, I know (and they have practically no monetary value).

Quote:
View Post
Having looked into building an aviary, one thing I have learned is nothing here is ever simple.
Ironically, we have an aviary - about 6 metres long by 3 metres wide by 2 metres high, concrete foundations - which we're going to demolish to make more grazing and because the former owner didn't have planning permission for it.

Quote:
View Post
I agree with others about using local tradespeople whenever possible. You will quickly earn respect and acceptance in the community by showing you support the local businesses.
One thing I have't got my head round is what is 'local'. Both these firms come from villages less than 10km away. In a small Swiss village, it seems like that is like bringing in people from the Far East to do the work. But we did ask the village firms first, they just seem to be more 'we decorate your garden' firms than 'we do major earthworks and create a field' firms.

Quote:
View Post
Good luck with your project. I hope you will post some pics when it is completed.
Will do, thanks