View Single Post
Old 27.02.2008, 20:42

Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
cremebrulee is considered knowledgeablecremebrulee is considered knowledgeablecremebrulee is considered knowledgeable
Re: restaurant prices...

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

It depends what you cook. If you eat things that are in season they will generally be cheaper than things which have been imported. We often buy our veg at the local market and while Migros may be cheaper for many things, we often find we get good deals when the person is also the grower and they have a surplus of something to try and sell.

I also prefer buying fruit at the market. There is one stall selling apples and pears at Basel market which sells a great variety of different pears and apples with different flavours, textures and characteristics.

If I buy fruit and veg at the supermarket I am invariably disappointed at the blandness of many items.

Cheers,
Nick
Do you know of any markets in the Zurich area?

I, too, would much prefer to buy my fruit and veg fresh from the market or directly from growers, which is what I did in my home country.

Except, since moving to Zurich, I have found that I have much less time to do the grocery shopping. I order my groceries and most household items online and have them home delivered. The produce is good, not great, but I never thought of Switzerland as a country with an abundance of "fresh" produce.

I was recently introduced to a place in Zurich (sort of an abattoir) where you can buy meat at much cheaper prices, though still fairly expensive when compared to other countries.

But overall, I find that buying food to cook at home is much more expensive in Switzerland. I cook quite a lot and, unfortunately, pay more attention to my taste buds than to my bank account. For me, I find that cooking at home in Zurich does not save me as much money as compared to back in my home country.

Obviously, eating out in Zurich is even more expensive. Not to mention home-delivered pizzas ...