View Single Post
Old 24.02.2013, 18:24
Forum Legend

Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Plastering a wall ...... question.

Ok, here`s my problem I`m throwing out to EF. Well, not MY problem, but I`m sick of hearing the different "professional" adivice, and O/H is going crazy, not knowing who to believe.

Hahaaa (actually, but I keep hoping a solution will appear so am appealing to anyone who knows about these things to maybe offer a solution?)

So, he removed a wall between the kitchen and diningroom, and now has a piece of roughty filled in with plaster up one wall, and down the other wall.

The other walls have the "rough bubbly Swiss plaster" - and the new pieces need to be matched with this so no dividing line is visible.

One qualified plasterer (young) says he needs to paint some magic stuff over the existing plaster and then plaster to a window so dividing line is not visible.......

The other (more experienced but not working in the trade for last 4 years) says he needs to paint a different magic stuff, then plaster with a 2cm thick stuff over ALL the walls. Which is the least desirable way as it means having a "building site" in house for months!

Now ..... do we believe the young and working in the trade? ... or the experienced older guy?(who no longer works in the trade)

Plus - If one re-plasters the entire walls, why can it not be SMOOTH and WASHABLE? WHY must they plaster with stones?
This room has a Swedish oven that, over the years, deposits a smutty black dust on the walls and ceiling (that cannot be washed off, needs to be painted!)

And then we come to the bathroom. We need to renew the bath. Which means destroying all the wall tiles to get the bath out, which means re-tiling ..... to the same old height and painting, or tiling to the ceiling.

What I cannot understand is WHY they have this rough bubble plaster all over in houses, which cannot be washed? Does this country not know about SMOOTH plaster, and washable paint? (SA style).