View Single Post
Old 28.02.2008, 14:32

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
nnewby has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do people live here?!

I am also a "Texas Momma"..we moved our family of 4 from Houston last summer to Lausanne. It is a huge adjustment..especially from Texas, which has one of the lowest costs of living in the US. I do think it is really important how you "frame" this move in your head, as it will be crucial to how you and your kids will adapt. We moved from a 3000 sq foot home with pool, etc. to a 1400 sq foot city apt. in a 700 year old building (3rd floor with no lift).

Being a native Wisconsinite, I was actually becoming concerned with the lifestyle in Texas, as my kids were becoming horribly spoiled. This move has taught us all how to appreciate life and our family. My kids had to learn to rely on one another and get along in close space. They now share a bedroom (with the help of a bunk bed). The quality of life in CH is very good, even if everyone does not live in extravagant homes and fill it with unnecessary stuff.

I know that my kids are better people from living here. We have learned to slow down and giggle over our tiny little Swiss refridgerator.

If you are puzzled over Swiss housing, wait until your first visit to the grocery store! It is shockingly expensive...but again, you learn to be more frugal and take advantage of the wonderful markets.

With that being said, our adventure in CH is coming to an end this summer and we are returning to Texas, but I am certain and proud that we will be more centered because of our year here. (I am looking forward to having a washer and dryer, my own car and a full size fridge again!)
This user would like to thank nnewby for this useful post: