Thread: Ask a Scientist
View Single Post
Old 12.03.2013, 22:47
Forum Legend

Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
I think using literature sources discredits.
It depends what you really want to study. This is often not stated in the research. THAT bugs me.

Communication in spontaneous situations is of course your pool of data. Communication analysis is what one thinks nowadays about, but the good old dialectology did the same 150 years ago. Recordings means studying what language is but not necessarily all it can be.

Literature is a construct. But nonetheless a construct of the given language. If one keeps in mind that literature is a language production of one author and nothing more, then you have a different set of data by nature. Data from literature means studying what language can be but not necessarily all it is.

Not the use of literature as such is a discredit, but mixing up the two above defined sets of data is. Which usually happens.

Last edited by Faltrad; 12.03.2013 at 23:00. Reason: unsure about the syntax of some sentences... I hope it's clear.