View Single Post
Old 24.10.2006, 16:41
Richard Richard is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Luzern currently
Posts: 2,565
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 373 Posts
Richard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond reputeRichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: L Permit to a B permit - Unmarried UK couple

We are a British non married family recently arrived in CH. My partner and children have just received their L permit. We were hoping for a B permit, but in the letter it said that the quota for the Thurgau Kanton had already been exceeded. However it did say that we can re-apply for a B permit, but didn't mention how. Is it done on a first come first serve basis from the 1st January!! We plan to stay in CH long term.

I have no permit, but I am waiting for a contract as a consultant for a US company on a self employed basis. I have enlisted the use of an local accountant to help. I do need a B permit as I will need to lease a car etc.

Any help comments, would be useful
Yes you will need a B permit to do the things you want but the Swiss authorities are not clamping down that much on EU abusers at the moment given the impending further relaxation of the rules. That you are not married is a bit of a pain unless the children are from you and your husband and not "belonging" to a third party. In that case you can apply for a family unit permit which wait for it will be the same as the main applicant ie L! The leasing of a car is not or at least was not possible on an L permit but then again you could not have a phone from Swisscom and I understand you can now so I guess that too could have changed - though I still doubt it.

The answer to your question regarding how the permits are allocated is basically yes, however not all the permits are available. If Thurgau is over quota then it will require that someone with a permit leaves thereby freeing up the slot. They will not go over quota in January though so you might well find yourself getting a B quicker through waiting until it is your right. Furthermore you "generally" cannot apply to have an L permit upgraded to a B until it has run out. From my understanding the Swiss authorities are currently doshing out quite long term Ls with a view to not needing to renew before all the EUites get a B automatically out of quota.

With respect to working self-employed you need to have an EU B permit for that...