View Single Post
Old 07.04.2013, 14:08
RIP

Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Connecting a German 220V kitchen appliance bought in France to a 400V outlet in C

I would buy the kitchen in France, including the montage! But ask the French supplier to supply a 3 phase oven.

Or you can order one in Germany and even collect it yourselves, http://www.gelbeseiten.de/elektro-ha...raete/loerrach you should easily be able to reclaim the 19% tax, you need to get the documents stamped on the border.

The problem is that 3 phases are used in Switzerland and Germany to even out the current loading in the supply cables. This means your house wiring to the oven is probably only 10 Amp for each of the 3 phase connections, but your oven and cooker would use a total of maybe 16 Amps. It really is better to buy a 3 phase cooker and oven.

Your fuse box for the cooker probably has 3 x 10 amp contact, and putting 16 amps on this will not work. Your electrician would need to pull out the 3 phase cable and put in a thicker one phase cable, and a 16 amp fuse.

Your next problem would be getting spare parts. Most companies would only stock 3 phase heating elements in Switzerland, you might have to order a single phase heating element.

I did once convert a double oven English cooker to 3 phase working: it is possible but I had to rewire the internal cooker. I first connected all the wires for the first oven to phase 1, the second oven & grill to phase 2, and the 4 hotplates / hob to phase 3. It worked well, but it took a while to sort out all the wiring!
The following 2 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post: