View Single Post
Old 19.04.2013, 14:31

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
bip has slipped a little
Have only Swiss visa so far (no residence permit): Can I invite girlfriend to visit?

Hi,
My situation is like this: Both I and my girlfriend are non-EU nationals staying in EU countries. I will move to Switzerland in a few days for my studies. I have a temporary Swiss Visa (type D). I know that I will have to register with the local authorities in Switzerland to get a residence permit. I am sending a letter of invitation which my girlfriend will use to apply for a visit-visa to Switzerland. The list of documents she requires includes "residence permit of the host." I do not know how exactly a residence permit is different from a visa, but as far as I can understand, the visa I now have is not equivalent to the residence permit required for her visa application. She needs to apply next week to have a realistic chance of visiting me during her holidays.

Does this situation mean that she will not be given a visitor visa? Will it ease things if I mention in my invitation letter that I will register with the authorities as soon as I reach there, or if I include my housing-contract?

Your suggestions will be very useful. If you have faced this situation before or know of people who have, please share your experiences.