View Single Post
Old 28.04.2013, 07:44
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vacation Accrual

Quote:
View Post
Where I said "Is accrued vacation payed out...?" I should have said "Is it required by law that vacation be payed out...?". In some countries, the US for example, this is a matter of law and is not up to the individual companies.
My understanding is that it can also be that an employeee is given days off in leui, which in your case would have been the same - just not working the last X days of your contract befor actually leaving.

Even if someone is fired, at least ethically, I would expect an employer is obligated to pay out for the holiday days that have been earned up to that date. ( however, not all employers are ethical.)

However, I do remember seeing on an EF thread a long time ago, that someone wrote , saying that if an employer has told the employee that s/he must take the accrued days by a certain date, then they can be lost if not taken by that date.
This user would like to thank biff for this useful post: