View Single Post
Old 28.04.2013, 11:54
Forum Legend

Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vacation Accrual

Paying out of vacation time is not forbidden by Swiss law - as long as the employee takes the statutory minimum amount of vacation time as actual vacation. It can be structured such that you take vacation when you end your contract but still workforce the company, or you might work the full notice period and receive cash compensation for the remaining vacation as a lump sum - that's simply dependent on negotiation.

The vacation time has a value, and the company is not allowed to remove that value from your contract just as you're not allowed to exceed the number of days defined.

That said, companies do have the right to force you to use your vacation. Mine, for example, requires that vacation be used in the year it is earned. That never happens in my case, and they're not contractually allowed to write it off, so the boss often tells me in January to take a few weeks off toget the balance back down to less than two years' vacation, which is within his rights.

When wondering things like this, have a thought about what's most fair to all parties involved. Swiss employment law is actually pretty aligned to "fair", in my opinion, and thinking that way will typically lead you to the right answer.