View Single Post
Old 29.04.2013, 16:17

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
hjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputation
Re: Help me :( [need advice how to get more inhouse training on new responsibilities]

Quote:
View Post
Yup. I would also throw you in the deep end during probation, to see how you react. If you start whining, and expressing negativity, I would think you would be a problem later on. If you show some poise and character in how you handle stress, I am more likely to think I could count on you later. Everybody experiences stress at work, your boss included.
+1

This makes sense to me as well. I would suggest the following. Assuming you were honest and open in your interview about which skills you don't possess, and assuming that you are willing to learn, this is what I would do.

1. Make a list of all the current tasks that are now expected from you in your current job.
  2. Make a list of all the skills you think you need in order to function well in your current job. These should reflect the tasks mentioned above.
  3. Prioritize the list by business need, and make sure that it reflects what other people see is the biggest business need as well.
  4. Then check which of those skills you have and which you really need training on.
  5. For those skills where you need training, find the best courses (online/F2F) and add information how much each course would cost and by when you could have completed that course (aka when you have that skill).
  6. Take all of this to your boss and start discussing with him or her what is manageable.

This way, your boss will love you for having done the homework, and will be able to make a decision what is best for the company, and what is best for you.

Now, go out and learn to run!
This user would like to thank hjj_74 for this useful post: