View Single Post
Old 23.05.2013, 20:04

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Olivita is considered knowledgeableOlivita is considered knowledgeableOlivita is considered knowledgeable
Re: School for autism and ADHD?

If you get a copy of the book "Your guide to Swiss schooling", there's a section in it on special needs education. I've heard mixed things about the support international schools (ISB, SIS and academia) can provide. Yesterday, I visited a school in Liestal (near Basel) called the Schule für Offenes Lernen which provides an alternative education (but complies with Basel Land education requirements) and welcomes all children, including those with special needs (they mentioned ADHD and autism) and particularly gifted ones, and focuses a lot on the relationship, both teacher/child and child/child. http://www.schulen-der-zukunft.org/s...ffenes-lernen/
It's not bilingual but there a some bilingual children there. They are educators and psychotherapists and psychologists and work closely with a psychiatrist/psychotherapist in the same building.
A good paediatrician who might be able to provide further information is Dr Pierino Avoledo, 4052 Basel Stadt, including on how to access "heilpädagogie" (special needs support) if you choose to go via the state system. I understand that in Zürich provision of psychotherapy, speech therapy and other therapies are the responsibility of the Gemeinde, even when the child is in a private school; not sure about Basel. The Basel Childrens Trust can be a source of support also. There's a yahoo group:
Kids with Special Needs in Switzerland <special-kids-ch@yahoogroups.com> and a Geneva based group supporting parents http://www.allspecialkids.org/wp/
I am also in contact with a couple of education lawyers in Basel that may be able to help; feel free to PM if interested.
Good luck with your move and welcome to Basel.