View Single Post
Old 30.05.2013, 08:44

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Leonidas05 has no particular reputation at present
Re: How difficult it is to get apartment in Zurich, with PhD salary?

Quote:
Homegate.ch - look for the cheapest appartments - you should be able to then answer your own question.

I didn't even need a PhD to answer that
Quote:
No it makes no difference at all.

The main thing that matter is money.
Even though I appreciate your initiative to reply my post, you guys are missing the point... The question is EXACTLY about money, namely how bad/well positioned the PhD salary puts you when competing for a flat with other people with relatively normal jobs. It's not about degree or what you can afford, but what you can get even if the price is within your affordable range.

I searched in the forum earlier, some people claimed it was very easy to get apartment in Zurich. At the same time it was obvious that they worked for some company, where the pay is definitely higher than PhD. It could be that high income makes things easier. Although such stories are inspirational, they may not relate well to a PhD's situation in Zurich. I admit it's somewhat related to what the housing agencies and landlords are looking at when choosing tenant.

Quote:
All depends on what kind of standard of living your wish to have.

I lived happily for the majority of my PhD for under 300 francs per month, I also know people who lived happily for 1400 francs per month (speak of course just rent costs).

To find a nice apartment within the generally accepted living range (1/3 of your take home) isn't the easiest, and expect a one room apartment (separate bathroom, but kitchen/living/sleeping space all-in-one) not right in the city. Getting one of these is competitive, but doable with some effort and time.
This is a good input. Does it translate into: as long as the rent is equal or lower than 1/3 of your income, then finance shouldn't be a problem in a way that you can compete with guys with higher income? It's interesting to hear that some lived for 1400 CHF per month, that is almost 1/2 of the take home.