View Single Post
Old 30.05.2013, 15:24

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Leonidas05 has no particular reputation at present
Re: How difficult it is to get apartment in Zurich, with PhD salary?

Quote:
View Post
You are massively over-thinking this.

Is your salary below average? Yes.

Is your salary good enough to get a decent flat? Yes.

Not everybody with a 190kCHF wage wants to live in a studio flat in Affoltern, you may be surprised to hear, so there is no added "competition" from them. If you want a <1500CHF flat close to UZH or ETH, your competition is primarily other PhD students.

Check the website I gave you a link to earlier, send a few emails, and you will end up with a decent flat in a nearby area to the universities, just like thousands of PhD students before you have.
That website you showed is really useful, in fact I found a very good apartment with good price, location and everything two weeks ago from there. The previous tenant studied at the same dept where I worked, we get along very well and she thinks me and my gf should take over (2 person could live there). We sent our application with the previous tenant trying to persuade the housing agent to give it to us. The problem is as the housing agent basically took over in the final week of May, now it has suddenly become the hottest apartment on immoscout. Competition will be fierce. Our slight advantage is we can combine the PhD salary of me and my gf to get a higher total income than some single person who apply. But again having two people in the apartment is generally more damaging to the apartment than having only one.

To be frank I'm okay with living in Oerlikon etc, but you still have to compete a lot.