View Single Post
Old 10.06.2013, 15:03
Forum Legend

Groaned at 24 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 21,950 Times in 7,023 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to retire?

Well, I can't ignore visa considerations; no sense in dreaming about whiling away my sunset years in countries where we have no chance of a settlement visa.

Switzerland is out due to costs, lack of services available, and based on my recent pretty in-depth research into eldercare here I would also rule it out due to health care.

The only realistic option right now is to return to the US. I had always thought somewhere on Lakes Michigan or Superior - but am getting kind of interested in the Vermont bits of Lake Champlain as well.

If visa considerations magically disappeared, I could see myself back in Hong Kong or China, the two countries where I've been the happiest. On the other hand, I know all too well that 'you can't go home again' - the HK and China of the early 90s that I knew and loved no longer exists - so probably best to leave those good memories intact.
The following 4 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: