View Single Post
Old 10.06.2013, 19:14
Forum Legend

Groaned at 30 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,640 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to retire?

With still a good 20 years to go to retirement, we are thinking about the future. We would love to stay in CH, but not with half our pension coming from the U.K. (would not pay for a denture here!), the cost of healthcare is too prohibitive here. Good old NHS, or what will be left of it, is a enviable option. Unlike you, we are selling our house in the U.K. and it means we don't really have somewhere to call home anymore. I guess we'll see where our children settle when they leave home for good and be the nightmare parents who settle within an 1 hour's drive radius!

Quote:
View Post
We would love to retire right where we are, here in Baden, but realise that we would feel much more secure financially back in the UK, we still have a house there, and family too.
As Meloncollie pointed out, healthcare is important, and again I would feel happier when I am older in the UK with our good old NHS, which I have contributed to by way of taxes for over 25 years.
So, we aim to live here for a couple of years or so after hubby retires in October, and albeit reluctantly, return home while we still physically can!