View Single Post
Old 16.06.2013, 23:50

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
dreamingofswitzerland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I think language is the biggest issue. If you psych yourself up for the challenge to learn a new language then you should have a great time here.

In the east part of Switzerland the main language is German based. The difficulty is that there are a lot of dialects, so understanding German as a second language might still make understanding difficult to begin with.

On a one to one basis if you ask politely for them to speak Standard German they will usually oblige, although in a group they usually quickly revert to dialect. Speaking standard German to them is just as foreign as for a Brit.

I do believe there are also language courses in dialect.

I don't know if there are a large number of dialects for the French and Italian speaking areas. My theory is that the more hilly the region the more dialects.

I don't know where SwissAussie was living, but in my experience he/she hasn't said much you couldn't say about any big city. Also if you move further out to the towns and villages it can be quite quaint. If you walk along the street here in my town many strangers will say hello. I find the Swiss generally very polite and considerate, although there manner may appear a little gruff, this isn't the case, so you shouldn't take offense.

Although the weather is never doing what I expect it to there is the advantage that being in the middle of Europe, every other country gets it first so weather is quite predictable and when I have wanted to get info it has always been quite accurate. i.e. you can actually plan ahead.

Although you might not be able to go out and buy a suit or sofa on Sunday, emergency rations are not a problem. Many bakers and coffee shops are open Sunday morning, as well as many petrol stations offering basic items and even fresh baked bread.

I very much hope your partner gets the job. It's a beautiful country and a great experience.
Thank you so much for your informative post. I loved reading your thoughts. My husband should find out this week. eek! We're excited and hope it's positive! I obviously have worries, mainly for our children, but I don't want to think too much about them until we get an answer. I may be worrying for nothing. I'm sure if the answer is yes, I'll have a hundred questions to ask. You've all be so kind, so thank you so much x