View Single Post
Old 18.03.2008, 07:25

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wibble has made some interesting contributions
Re: Best place to live for a family in Basel?

> [we will be] working in the Reinach/Aesch areas

(prefix: we've only been living around here for 3 months)

The #11 tram-line goes from Aesch (via Reinach), then on to Basel, stopping roughly every 800-1200 metres. From Aesch to Basel it takes 30 minutes by tram, or 15 minutes by train (probably the same by car). The tram makes so many stops!
Aesch to Reinach is about a 5 minute ride, Aesch to Reinachdorf (tram stop outside the ISB) is (guess) 10 minutes.

It's much easier to get about by tram than driving, and to be honest I would only live in towns serviced by the tram. Pfeffingen is a bit greener than Aesch (more upmarket too), but it's up a hill (do you bicycle?!) and only has a bus service.

If you're thinking "I'll drive everywhere anyway" - obviously it's up to you, but for us the tram (or train) is quicker and easier. For taking the kids to school it's perfect (so is bicycle riding). Your kids are too young to need a ticket, but you can get an adult 2-zone monthly ticket (takes you just about anywhere around Basel) for CHF 67. This covers train && tram (others too?). Once your kids need a ticket, you can buy a yearly pass for them (~CHF 22) and they can ride on your ticket.

http://comparis.ch links up a few of the housing-search websites, so it's not a bad place to search for a flat. There's lots of open space, forest walking trails, and what-not. We moved from a large house (with front && back yards) to an apartment. But out the back is a (public) playground, so the kids go out there to play. Maybe not as much as I'd like, but it's getting warmer every day.

Good luck, it's fairly daunting renting a flat and moving over, but once you get here it's fun. You can meet lots of other english-speaking mums & dads on the tram to school (the ISB) every morning.

cheers,
Wibble