View Single Post
Old 22.03.2008, 02:07

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
stuartq has no particular reputation at present
Re: Can we buy a house????

Have you tried the search facility as you will find a lot of information on this subject.

You cannot buy in every Kanton and those that you can have limits as to how many non swiss can purchase property (I think this applies to B permit holders but not C permit holders).

From my limited knowledge, I believe for example that it's not possible to buy in Geneva and I think the same applies to Zurich.

You can buy in Vaud, Ticino and Valais but do not know which catagory Aargau comes into.

You will also be restricted on the size of the property, 200SQmtrs being the Max living space and there is also a limit on the parcel of land too.

There are a number of property websites to look at.
Try: www.immostreet.com
www.remax.ch
Property mortgages

If you contact any estate agent they will advise you on where you can buy.

There a few other websites that many forum users recommend which you will find with a little research.

you will find that most people recommend that you do not buy, unless you know you will be here for at least 5 years.

There a few reasons for this.
1) Capital gains tax: Very high and applies to property sold within 5 years unless you buy another property for the same amount or more.

2). Prices: Property prices rise quite slowly in CH, so do not expect to make great price gains in a short period of time.

Many members of the forum Such as "Abfab", "Richard" and "Lob" are very Knowledgeable on this subject and know a great deal more than I do.

You will also find information on the various banks for mortgages and info on forum members ecperiances.

As far as i know you must put down a minimum of 20% deposit, though I have read on the forum where members have managed to buy without a deposit.
if the property is not you main residence then they expect 40% deposit.

Remember: buying property in Switzerland is a long-term proposition. If in doubt search these forums for Grundstuckgeweinsteuer and Eigenmietwert as well as other advice. It is not recommend to buy unless
you really expect to stay for at least 5 years.

Good Luck

Stuart.