View Single Post
Old 26.03.2008, 13:54
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 26,115 Times in 8,069 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can we buy a house????

Finding a rental for 6 months might be difficult, depending on what you are willing to settle for. Many landlords want longer term contracts.

(When we moved here, 5 years was the shortest term any landlord we spoke to would consider - but, that was a different area, different time. Market conditions will obviously influence how flexible a landlord needs to be.)

You might find that you can take over someone's existing lease (Nachmieter).

I had to organize our housing from the States, so we used a relocation consultant who did the running around for me (or was supposed to - but that's another story. ). Perhaps that might be an option, giving your timing. It was expensive (and I would never recommend the agency who worked with us... ) but I couldn't have done it otherwise given distance and my lack of German at the time.

Do be aware, though, that six months really isn't long when it comes to making a house purchase in Switzerland. It took us a year plus of searching for a suitable property, and most that we were interested in wanted a hand over date 6-12 months out. When we finally found the right property with a seller willing to move quickly, we had to move mountains to organize the legal stuff in a reasonable timeframe. We managed to do that in three months, but were told that such speed was generally unheard of.

(Coming from Chicago, where I sold one house and bought another within 24 hours, the pace here seemed a bit... glacial. )

You might want to give yourself more flexibility with timing. Be prepared to move quickly if the right property comes up, but also be aware that you may need to wait longer than expected.

Best of luck to you.