View Single Post
Old 21.08.2013, 11:55
Forum Legend

Groaned at 782 Times in 611 Posts
Thanked 27,850 Times in 11,241 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child first bike - advice pls

Quote:
View Post
I am fine with getting second hand, no issue at all. But I still have not been able to get an understanding if weight really matters or not
Yes, weight matters if you are cycling hills. Not much at all on the flat (didn't I already say that?)

A few years ago, someone gave us a bike for our eldest but kind as they were, I rejected it as it was a kid's pseudo full suspension mountain bike which meant it weighed a ton.

It's all relative - the lighter the bike, the more it costs and the price rises steeply to shave off those last few grams.

So, don't get a heavy bike, but also don't think that you need to buy the most expensive, lightweight bike there is as I don't think your daughter is going to be entering races, is she?

If you're buying relatively cheaply then the things that will add weight (unnecessarily for your particular needs) are suspension (front or rear) and perhaps front gearing i.e. with more than one chain ring which your child will struggle to be able to use.

Alloy wheel rims and an alloy frame will make it lighter but will push the cost up.
I think you will probably be able to find something suitable between an Islabike and a heavy monster.

I've no idea what the bike I bought my son last week actually weighs but it wasn't a case of me groaning under the strain when I lifted it compared with other childrens' bikes that I have lifted up.