View Single Post
Old 31.10.2006, 09:34
Forum Legend

Groaned at 345 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 11,799 Times in 4,061 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to best locate one's business in CH ?

Hi Jean,

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here. You think Coop beats Migros because of head office location? I think there's a bit more to it than that!

Of course companies should be located in a idyllic locations free from stress and pressure. But these places are often useless for many businesses. They are far from pools of labour and all other resources. They are far from markets and raw materials. Microsoft/ Google and virtual suppliers et al can within reason locate where they want as their only constraint is labour - money has little to do with equation any more.

One point you might like to consider with the countryside is the 'London phenomenon'. Here, work and home worlds are separated for most workers who commute in and live many miles away from their work colleagues. This generates a strong 'work-world' where employees can leave their home life behind to (theoretically at least) concentrate on their work.

I have worked in both London and countryside and can confirm working in the countryside is much preferable - for me. But for young, aggressively upwardly mobile types, the cut and thrust of a city can be very stimulating...