View Single Post
Old 28.08.2013, 07:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 400 Times in 308 Posts
Thanked 16,884 Times in 9,521 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: permit question: marriage and move canton...

Quote:
View Post
Hi!

I have B permit (non-EU, USA to be specific) and it's tied to my employer. My employer is in Basel and I am going to move to Zurich. I was told by HR and Zurich immigration office that I need to send a letter to give reason/explanation for moving to Zurich and get a permission for relocation. Immigration of Zurich explained to me what I need to send to them and didn't say it would be difficult to get permission or not. My friend who has B permit and works in Basel got married to Swiss moved to Zurich and de-registered her permit from Basel and re-registered in Zurich without any problem.

Some say it is just a formal process.. some say it's because I'm from US.. who knows.. but I think you can call the canton of wherever you are moving to and ask if you need a permission or send a letter or anything.

Even if you need to submit a letter, I'm sure you are OK and get permit registration without any problem.

Congratulations by the way
Marriage is the difference here. If you marry a Swiss or EU national, then I believe the tied to the employer restriction is lifted so you can move without needing your canton's permission. I'm not sure if it would apply to a non-EU married to another non-EU, it may depend on what permits each holds. For example if both are tied to their employers then one may still need to ask permission to move. But that's a guess on my part.
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post: