View Single Post
Old 04.09.2013, 18:32
Forum Legend

Groaned at 104 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,359 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raw AND unpasteurised sauerkraut - where to buy it?

Quote:
View Post
Sauerkraut is actually raw, but fermented. The Swiss apparently cook it , sometimes with flavorings before serving with meats etc. Thus , in swiss supermarkets , you will find both "roh" ( raw) sauerkraut which is only fermented , and "gekocht" cooked sauekraut which can be quickly warmed up and eaten.

I like buying the raw, and eating it only mildly heated. I donīt know what the deal is with the cooked. To me , it is a little lifeless.
Swiss, and Germans, And Alsacenas, and people from Lille, and Belgians...almost everyone cooks it. Otherwise, wouldn't it be just cole slaw, minus the dressing?

Yeah I know. I was being sarcastic. Although, that's not how it is made in restaurants at all. And the way you are describing is a bit before things like concerns with hygiene and sanitary conditions for food came into play.

Last edited by Confloozed; 04.09.2013 at 19:00.