View Single Post
Old 15.09.2013, 09:49
Forum Legend

Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Low cost Investment Funds in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I will move to switzerland soon and I Have exactly the same question and after a little bit of searching on the internet and reading the previous posts this is my conclusion:

For investing money as savings my aproach will be to use ETF´s at Post Finance. Here is why. It is simple and free to open an account, the fees are not that expensive (compared to other swiss options which is the point of the thread)

The cost of buying or selling and ETF is around 0.35% (or 35 CHF per 10000 transaction). There is NO custody fees. ETF are great because of the much lower fees than mutual funds and you can by an ETF that replicates your favourite index (SP 500 for example as suggersted above).

Best of all, If I understood Jim correctly and other forum members there is no capital gains tax in switzerland. So if I buy an ETF for 10000 today and I sell it for 12000 in five years I do not have to pay any tax on these earned 2000. Am I correct?

If somebody have some suggestions to us non financial experts please let us know. (and I am not rich to hire a financial adviser so I try to do everything myself)
As you could invest $10,000,000 for charges of under $10 using a US broker, SwissPost's fee of 0.35% with a minimium of 35 CHF is extremely high & bad value, especially for someone who wants to invest say 1000 a month. You are charged on both purchase & sales.

If you only make 20% over 5 years, you have picked the wrong fund. Capital gains tax is not charged on such high risk actvities in CH Only if you buy safe Swiss real estate.