View Single Post
Old 04.10.2013, 15:04
Forum Legend

Groaned at 404 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 16,994 Times in 9,570 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit suisse - W9 form and waiver forms

Quote:
View Post
Correct. However, Credit Suisse doesn't require you to send in an FBAR.
No, the US government/IRS does if any or all accounts reach the $10,000 aggregate figure. And that applies even if you don't need to file a tax return.

I've just renounced earlier this year and have no income to file. However, the joint accounts I share with my OH required back filing of FBAR's and I will need to file a partial FBAR next year, along with my 8854 form. I managed to renounce just before UBS sent me the W-9 form.

The point is, whether you need to file any tax forms of any kind for the IRS/US government or not, to get/keep a bank account here as a US citizen you either have to sign a W-9 or renounce. It's that simple. Utterly stupid, crazy, mad, but that's the choice. Nothing else is possible if you want a Swiss bank account.
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post: