View Single Post
Old 30.10.2013, 16:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,298 Times in 7,378 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: halloween-where to trick or treat

Halloween is not a Swiss thing, so celebrations are very much area-dependent.

If you live in an area with a lot of Americans or Brits, you might find a few families hosting parties or who are willing to have kids come by trick or treating.

But if you live in an area that is mostly Swiss, tread carefully. There has been a backlash against 'imported culture' lately, and many people take umbrage against Halloween for this reason. Also, ringing doorbells after dark, disturbing people's 'Nachtruhe' is a crime worthy of deportation in many neighborhoods . I'm only half joking.

I would only go trick or treating by pre-arrangement. For the kiddie's sake, to avoid disappointment as well as a tongue-lashing, DO NOT go trick or treating 'randomly'. Talk to your neighbors, to other parents in the area, see what the norm will be.

That said, because I'm an American I get a handful of trick or treaters every year - largely, I think, because people know that there is a good chance that I enjoy seeing the little 'uns having fun.

Happy Halloween!