View Single Post
Old 31.10.2013, 11:40
Forum Legend

Groaned at 315 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 9,898 Times in 3,479 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Electricity Prices - UK v. Switzerland

With all the hoo-hah in the UK at the moment about energy prices, I though I had better take a look at what I am being skinned for in Switzerland.

For those who have not been following this: in the UK the supply of electricity and gas was privatised some years ago and consumers can buy their energy from dozens of competing supplier - or so the theory goes. But the reality is that energy prices have been going up at around 10% a year for the last few years with another 10%. "Green charges" and the international wholesale market prices are blamed.

Here was have only one choice: EKZ (Elektrzitäswerke des Kantons Zürich) or candles. Between may 2012 and May 2013 we use 7,167 kWh (kilowatt hours) of electricity. (This excludes an electric heat pump for heating.) The cost of this amount was:

CHF 573.46 - for 7,167 kWh of electricity
CHF 433.01 - for "delivery and infrastructure"

There are various additions and subtractions for things like "bonus 6%" and "water protection" and 8% VAT the years total was:

CHF 1,043.72

This is for a 5.5 room 160 sq metre detached house.

I ran our kWh usage through energyhelpline.com for the UK and there were dozens of results. Converting at a generous CHF1.40 to the £ their prices ranged from:

CHF1,303 to CHF1,786 17% to 71% MORE!

And you though Switzerland was expensive!

By the way the annual bill for heating with an air warm pump was CHF582.

To rub salt in Britain's wounds, the EKZ have just advised they will be reducing their charges (slightly) for 2014...

Fed up of smoking? 10 tips to quit in 10 days
The following 9 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post: