View Single Post
Old 27.11.2013, 13:29
Forum Legend

Groaned at 281 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Petrol vs Diesel car, and other simple questions about cars in CH

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, I always try and fill up at the supermarket over there, it was 1.27 at our local E Leclerc when I was there a few weeks ago. My wife wants an Evoque, so the most likely option is the TD4 Pure with a couple of extras as I don't think petrol makes sense in that car, but the cheap option is a top spec Duster for less than half the price of the RR, and the petrol is 3k CHF less than diesel.
I know one forum member with a petrol Evoque - who has been less than impressed with the performance.

A couple of years back I drove from Brno to Swiss border in convoy with a Honda CRV and a Dacia Duster (diesel) - the driving style was "rapid" and included me nudging up to 270kmh before cruising to the let the others catch up. We averaged 170kmh while driving. The Duster used more fuel than mine at those speeds!!!

The Duster is a bargain small SUV - but I would not want to be crossing France in one on a "regular" basis.

If you terminate a lease early you will be hit with a loss - whether up front with a larger deposit or at the end. Unless you absolutely need an SUV then I would consider a 4wd estate instead. There are plenty of suitable A6/V70/E-Class/5-series to cater for all budgets.

If SUVs are your thing - the Touareg is the most common (large) one. The Tiguan sells very well. Discoverys tend to move quite quickly in the used market. BMWs X range sells well

In terms of leasing - budget on 5-6% in the used market. Some companies offer better rates on new (or very nearly new) cars. Also make sure that whatever you buy includes winter tyres - or put aside the money to buy them yourself.