View Single Post
Old 27.11.2013, 16:06
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
swissberg has no particular reputation at present
How long would you stay at home with your baby?

I need an advice on how long do people usually stay at home with their babies before going back to work and how much they would have wanted to stay if they could.
I know that many working people take 14 official weeks of maternity leave and stretch it to 6 months using holidays and unpaid leave. After that they try to get a reduced (80 or 60%) work week. Those people whose employers do not allow such a long leave have to go straight back to work or give up their job altogether.
I will be unemployed after my maternity leave and I need to decide when I want to start looking for a job and therefore place my child in a daycare. From one side I don't want a delay in finding a new job (I should be more or less ok financially, but I have already spent a long time looking for a new job without much success so I don't want to relax and delay it even more). From another side I want to spend sufficient amount of time with my baby (for different people it means different things, I just don't know what it is for me and my baby). I guess, that if the paid maternity leave in this country was officially 6 months or 1 year I would take it all without hesitation.
What would be your advise in my situation?